Monday, June 16, 2014

Calling All Humans...

            In the church culture, we have the reputation of defining ‘worship’ as music we play and sing (about and/or to God) as a congregation. This worship experience is led by the ‘worship leader’ who may occasionally throw out instructive catch-phrases such as “Raise your hands!” “Lift a shout of praise!” and so on. Though I would openly define myself as an artist who has found she deeply connects by worshipping God through the avenue of music, I can vividly remember the moment where I came to realize that worship was not about music at all, rather, worship of God was solely about bringing Glory to the one who created us to Worship Him.

              

                        Early on in ministry, I had the opportunity to intern at a church in the area of Worship ministry. After graduating high school and moving away, I really struggled with adjusting to my new surroundings. I had grown up in the same place, surrounded by the same people, attending the same church for the majority of my life.  I was a relatively well-known performer in the area I lived in, and I had worked incredibly hard to establish my reputation as a singer and musician. Though I didn’t feel the call to full-time ministry until my senior year of high school, I had sung in church since I was 5 years old. When I moved away from home, I was hit with the rude awakening of my new surroundings. Being in a new area, I began to understand that NOT ONE person had any idea who I was, or what my ‘skill sets’ were. (A very odd awakening for someone who had labored over establishing her talent reputation Ha Ha.) Needless to say, my first few months of college and interning were spent by myself in a coffee shop figuring out my walk with Christ OUTSIDE of leading ministry. I spent my intern hours organizing the Planning Center database, vacuuming the stage, or making coffee runs for people who didn’t even know my name.  What a humbling and amazing time those first few months were: My relationship with God wasn’t being defined by the ministry I was leading for other people. My worship no longer happened by music played or led on stage. My worship experiences had to become deeper and more personal than ever.
My Worship ceased to be defined by the avenue of ‘music,’ and instead became a lifestyle  rooted in the understanding of God the Father, by the message of the Gospel, through the power of the Holy Spirit . 
                To worship is the act of giving worth to something, elevating it to the place of highest honor. Though the most common way of expressing our desire to give worth to God has historically been through songs OF worship, it is vital to our faith and spiritual walk to realize that worship itself must be rooted IN LOVE FOR CHRIST, and not in music.  If we do not understand the Gospel and the God we sing ABOUT, our songs mean very little. Because God created mankind to worship Him, those of us who are in relationship with Him should continuously search for new ways to GIVE WORTH to our Maker. We can do this through several different avenues such as prayer, reflection, quietness, rest, reading Scripture, encouraging one another, etc.  True worship is a lifestyle that is lived in accordance with His Word, walking in step with the Holy Spirit.
                As someone who had a one dimensional side of worship for so many years, I would encourage you to dive deeper into the Gospel to find the true meaning of Worship, and why we are called to express it by our lives. The more we come to know Jesus and the redemption freely offered to us by the shedding of His blood, the more we will begin to understand the mystery of Grace. The more we understand His grace, the more we are moved to respond to it. The more we respond to it by offering our body’s as living sacrifices to Him (Romans 12:1), the more intimate and authentic our worship becomes. If we truly understand and believe the Gospel with our entire hearts, it will be impossible to lack authentic and intimate worship. If it is through the avenue of music that you give worth and glory to God, do it with the full measure and knowledge of the amazing Truth of the Gospel. Music is secondary. 


~Rachel~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment