Wednesday, June 4, 2014

For the Love of Picnics

I appreciate the human being's ability to have their own likes and dislikes: I would never want to take away one's ability to think for themselves, or mock the ability to have uniqueness of taste.

However....


If you do not like picnics....


There is something wrong with you. 

There are few things in life as glorious as a picnic on a day when the sun is shining and the air is crisp. I have a deep-ingrained longing to be fancy: If I had it my way, we would still be carrying parasols, drinking afternoon tea, wearing funny hats, and going on afternoon strolls. Unfortunately, I am relatively aware of the thoughts of other people.  I am not secure enough to transform my lifestyle into that of a 1901-1920's woman (Of course... I do appreciate that women can vote, have opinions, and jobs now, so I wouldn't change that.)The way I rectify my longing to 'bring fancy back,' is by engaging in activities such as elegant and refined picnics. I pack fancy fruit, fancy cheese (ode to the days I could eat any kind of cheese I want.... a pox upon you, food allergies), and fancy spreads. Pellegrino is also a staple.

On May 26, 2014 I realized my entire picnicking experience up until that day had been living a lie. 


I was picnicing without a proper basket or materials. I am ashamed to say, I lived in the world of paper backs and plastic utensils. But I, Rachel Storment, shall no longer live that way. I, Rachel Storment, have been given the gift of a proper and fully stocked picnic basket (Thanks, mom & dad Storment). It is deep and rectangular shaped, filled to the brim with all the fancy delacies a picnic deserves (Glasses, utensils, a THERMOS). It's exterior is majestic wicker... as every REAL picnic basket should be.

May 26, 2014 was the perfect day. Not only was I celebrating my birthday early with my wonderful husband (who indulged my girlish desires of living like Gatsby), but I was awoken to the sweet smell of French Press coffee (another delicacy of life EVERYBODY should love), and I was allowed to embark on the adventure of a TRUE picnic.

The contents of the food in my basket? Let me tell me you, dear friend, so that you may enjoy the experience alongside me.

Sourdough Baguette (I forsook my gluten avoidance in honor of my birthday, of course.) 
Red Grapes
Brie for Zach, Goat Cheese for me
Annie's Gluten Free Chocolate and Vanilla Bunnies
and Sparkling Water


If you haven't gotten out in the beautiful world of the outdoors, slapped on a romper, and had a picnic, I encourage you do to so IMMEDIATELY. Stop reading this blog and experience the beauty for yourself.

Picnics give you endorphines. Picnics save lives.

Picnics are God's gift to humans. You are all welcome for sharing.







No comments:

Post a Comment